Question

emikonari

debt manaement program has made late payments
I joined a debt management program. I have prided myself in making my payments on time for all my credit cards since 2009. Since joining this program they have made at least 5 late payments. Is there anything that can done about removing the late payments from my report since I, technically, was not responsible for those late payments? Yes, I was making my payments to the dmp company on time.

Most Helpful Response

Wish you had asked before.

I wish you had asked before about joining a debt management program because the majority have a history of being less than ethical as you have found out.  They cost money, too, don't they?  And these people have been late in making payments to your creditors which is not doing you any good.

Do you have a written contract with this company that states their policy and how they are supposed to be "helping?"   If it says they will be paying on time when they haven't, they have violated the terms of their contract and could be subject to lawsuit.

If you can cancel this "repayment" arrangement you likely will be far better off.  Consulting with a banker or free credit management company like Consumer Credit Counseling Service would be a better idea.

Since this "management" service (?) was acting as your agent in making the payments for you, I don't think you can get the late payments off your credit reports.  But getting them made on time will begin to reduce the impact of the negatives.