Question

jenn595

debt is 9 months away from falling off should I pay it &would it do any good? Debt is from a rental.
This debt shouldn't belong to me but the company didn't do their paperwork right and now it's on me. I never heard from the collector and only found out about it after I tried to get into a rental. This debt is 9 months from being 7 years old but I need to move and of course no rental company will take me. I have no way of paying the full amount because it's almost 2,000. So basically if I offer 10% and they take it will it be removed or at least closed?

I wouldn't pay it since the statute of limitations has expired.  It's, usually 6 years or less so the debt is uncollectable now.  But, since it is not your debt, you just might want to dispute it with all the credit bureaus showing it.  After all, it's messing things up for you now.

I would not try negotiating anything on this debt as you might inadvertantly reset the "statute of limitations" to be sued for it. I advise that you try to get an "early exclusion" from the credit bureaus, so do some reading on that. Transunion will sometimes remove negative accounts six months prior to the seven year mark and Experian and Equifax will sometimes remove accounts three months prior to the seven year mark.