Question

fexon

Debt in collection for a debt that I never knew existed!
Today I got my first ever credit report and was shocked when I realized that there's a $500 debt placed on collection in my report. I had never heard the name of the bank but then realized it was the bank that issued GAP cards.

I shopped in GAP in 2014 and were offered a credit card to pay with when checking out. I accepted the offer and later got the bill in my mail and paid the amount ($ 77.85) in full online. I NEVER used that card again or shopped from GAP. I also have another email from Synchrony Bank on Jul 30, 2015 that shows my balance is $0. No emails from them after that date.
I'm really angry now for being frauded but don't know how to proceed and remove it from my report. Since the debt has already been sold to a collection agency I don't know if I can do anything to prove I've been defrauded and remove the debt. I'll appreciate any help.

Thank you.

First off, don't call phone numbers offered by internet strangers. Second, do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) and contact an FDCPA attorney if you feel that it is warranted. Also do some reading on "debt validation letters" "disputing collection" and under no circumstance should you contact the debt collector until you have a good knowledge of how to handle them.