Question

wcnii86

debt collectors haven't verified collections
I recently had something in collections added to my credit. I sent a certified letter requesting verification of the debt along with a "promise to delete" if the debt was paid immediately. I never received an answer so I called the debt collector. he advised me that the company doesn't do "promise to delete" so I still requested verification of the debt from him. I haven't received anything from the debt collectors or where the debt originated from with any kind of verification.

What do I do now?

Most Helpful Response

FCRA

I have had this happen to me as well. I contacted an attorney for advice and learned that under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) The debt furnisher has 30 days to provide you with proof of the claimed debt. If the debt furnisher or creditor hasn't provided you with any proof they are required by law to remove the negative item from all three credit bureau's.

Write letters to all three credit bureaus and tell them the data furnisher has not responded to your request (send them copies of certified letter) and request that they delete the unvalidated account.  

Send Cease & Desist Letter

If 30 days have passed and no response, send them a cease & desist letter. You can easily find copies of those doing a google search. Use it as a base and edit it to personalize it. Make sure you tell them in the letter that you sent a certified letter and spoke to them on the phone (list the dates) telling them to send you verification of the debt and they haven't. Use the letter you find online as a guide and tell them if they violate your rights you will file a lawsuit. If it's past your state's statute of limitations, you can use that as well. Send it certified mail.