Question

spaff711

Debt Collector was Sending Bill to Wrong Address
I received a fine from the CA Highway Patrol that I was unaware of about a year ago. I was not aware of the fine until just recently when my credit score dropped 60 points because I had a debt in collections. I called the collections agency and they informed that I had this ticket from the CA Highway Patrol that was unpaid. Apparently the CAHP had the wrong address and phone number so every attempt to collect the ticket had been missed through no fault of my own since they had the wrong information. The collection agency assured me that if I paid the fine now and signed a letter of will not contest that they would take this off my credit score as this was no fault of my own. Has any one had any experience with something like this and is it really that easy to fix?

Sounds a bit fishy.

I do believe it is the driver responsibility in every state to promptly notify DMV of a change of address and/or phone number.  At least it is in my state.  I would send the collection agency a letter requesting verification of debt and let them know they have 30 days from date your letter is received to comply, or cease collection activity. Send this letter 'certified, return receipt requested' and keep a copy (plus copies of all communications from this collection agency) for your records.  I find it really hard to believe that anyone could not know they had a fine issued by any law enforcement office until after it went to collections.