Question

MKadaminny

Debt collector Trying to collect 10 year old debt
A debt collector is sending me debt collection letter and calling me stating that I owe money. The account is more than 10 years old and even the state statute of limitation has passed. I was in financial difficulty at that time and so could not pay. My credit report does not show any negative accounts. Should I write to them and tell them its very old account? Can they put this account on my credit report? Need help.Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Do some reading on how to writed a "Cease & Desist Letter". No, they cannot place this account back on your reports legally, if they do then you could dispute it. Do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) so you know what they can't do. If they start harassing you, you may want to consult with a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases.