Question

253Tacoma

Debt Collector Promises Paid in Full for Settlement but Original Creditor has Charge Off
The original creditor shows a charge off with balance of $0 on my account. They have sold it to a debt collection agency, who has not reported to the credit bureaus. The debt collector has promised that if I will settle, they will give me a finalization letter that says I paid in full. They say that with this letter, the original creditor will report it as paid in full (instead of settled, etc.) on the charge off on my credit report. I don't know if this is true and I'm afraid I will settle, hurt my credit more somehow, and it will be too late.

The purpose of Credit Karma is to teach people how credit works and they do so very well through the articles presented here.  Please take the time to read them.  I did and have benefitted greatly from this knowledge.  You can, too.

253Tacoma

Thank you for your response! I've read a great number of articles that in some way relate to this question both on and off KC, but cannot find a solid answer to my question, which is why I asked. I did attempt my homework before I got here and thank you for reaching out. If you have a specific article in mind, please feel free to link it, as I do not see an answer to my question.