Question

rcdevine93

Debt collections were removed from credit report for not providing the proof of debt in time.
My previous apartment complex took out a collection against me for not returning my key until 4 days after my lease was up and charged me $99 for it. I went through the better business bureau and told the debt collector that the debt was unfounded because all they could provide is a ledger showing what I owed but they never sent a legally binding contract stating I would owe them rent if I didn't return my key.

They responded saying that they have requested the debt be removed from my credit reports and they "returned the file to our clients".

This seems like good news, but what does it mean? I talked to the collections agency and they said that their agency will not attempt to collect it anymore, even if the complex tries to reopen the account.

Does this mean my apartment complex can just use another collection agency to try to get the money? Am I clear? I do not owe this debt and really don't want to have to court over it. I would win 100% since all the documents are in my favor, but I really don't want it to come to that.

Most Helpful Response

The collection agency,

will notify the Apartment complex of the situation.  Unless they can come up with a contract for the key fee they are SOL. 

Even if they tried to another collection agency they would end up with the same result. 

Chances are good that they won't because it becomes a waste of time and money for them to pursue it. 

Monitor your reports and keep an eye open for it, but I don't think its going to be an ongoing issue for you.

Good luck.