Question

TryingToRebuild

Debt collection nightmare!
What should I do? I'm trying to get a mortgage, my high end score is 708, mid 677, and low 656. I defaulted on a loan from GMAC, the account was opened in 09/06, last activity 11/07, and last date reported 12/09.

They sold the debt of $5k to a debt collector. They opened the account in 11/09, last reported activity 06/07 (I don't understand how this is possible), and last reported date 12/13. I've never paid the collectors a dime, but they have my number and know it's mine. After fees theyre saying I owe them over $8k.

What do I do? If I do nothing, when do these bad marks fall off? Should I try and settle with the debt collectors? This is the only thing holding me back from getting a home. Please help!