Question

Jdhauser1

Dealing with portfolio recovery associates
Hey all, I'm beginning to clear some old debt, including a small credit card debt held by the portfolio recovery folks.

Round one, I reach an exceptable summery, I ask for a letter stating the details of our settlement and the agent sends me to her supervisor who immediately freaks out on me so I told her she was mean and hung up. I'll call back again today. Does anyone know what level of supervisor I'll need to actually send said confirmation letter ?

Most Helpful Response

Portfolio Recovery Associates can be (and often is) referred to by some rather colorful terms. but I shall refrain from doing so.  First thing to remember about any collection agency is to NEVER try negotiating an agreement over the phone, because all the people on the phone bank there are not authorized to make a solid agreement.  You want it in writing and the only way to likely get it in writing is if you are sending letters that they will have to reply to.

If you know the name of the party with whom you reached an agreement, address a letter to said party referring to the agreement made on whatever date it was, and confirm your intent to make the payments, and the beginning date.

If your only contact with this outfit has been by phone, do a search to find out the business address of the company.  Emphasize in the letter also that,since phone calls are inconvenient, all communications from this date forward shall by US Mail, only, as is your right under FDCPA.  Do not accept any calls from them, period.  You do not need to deal with any freakout psychopaths.  It is my personal policy to not answer any calls from someone I do not know.

Once you have the agreement in writing, then you can pay, but not before.  Please read the articles and under "Most Popular" topics on the log in page to learn about pay for delete agreements, because that is what you want.  Learn how to do it and you will see your score improve after it is finished.  And keep copies of all communications from them and dwhat you write until after this is resolved.  Hard copies are evidence of your attempts to resolve this debt and they would help in court, if needed.  Verbal agreements are just talk and unprovable.