Question

Betoasaber

DCU secured card will help improve my credit score?
I have only 8 months of credit history and my FICO from Discover last month was 704. Applying for a secured card will help my credit score to increase?
My wife has a long credit history and we are planning to buy a home she does not have a secured card, do you guys think that she needs one? or secured cards are for ppl like me trying to build up credit score?
thanks in advance!!!

Most Helpful Response

If you have a score of 704, I don't see why you would have trouble getting an unsecured credit card, although with your short history it may be an issue with some lenders. Secured cards are usually only for those with poor, bad credit, or no credit at all. Whatever card you get, get one that is known to report regularly to all 3 credit bureaus. Many credit card sites have a preapproval process you can use before you actually apply, this is good because a preapproval does not give you a hard inquiry on your credit reports. Also note that preapproval does not guarantee that you will be approved for sure, but it gives you an idea. When you do apply for the actual card you will get a credit inquiry which may reduce your score slightly, however getting a card should help increase your score. Just don't apply for too much credit that you don't need prior to applying for a mortgage loan as that may make you look risky. All in all it is important to have credit cards (revolving accounts) to build your credit score.