Question

Lizzy2003

Daughters student loan on my report
In order for my daughter (who was 24 at the time) to get a student loan, I had to submit my income info to FAFSA. She is a responsible adult and I do not have to worry about her paying it back, but it is still on my credit report. How can I go about getting it off my report since it is her loan? The balance right now is less than $4,000.

Most Helpful Response

You will need to contact the lender and work out with them what needs to happen to get you off as a co-signer, co-applicant, or co-authorized user.  This can vary place to place.

It is more-than-likely your daughter will need to refinance the remaining balance as a sole applicant to essentially close the old loan and open up a new loan under just her name.  But again, this can vary by lender.

However, some lenders will let your daughter submit documentation of stable residence, income, and/or credit history and can then take you off the loan if your assistance for the loan backing is no longer needed.