Question

ARW511

Dad not paying car note in my my name what should I do? I can't afford the note and it is 365+ late
I let my dad (a car salesman) get a Hummer in my name to help him out with a vehicle and build my credit since I had never had a car note and my car is paid for, I do have some old debt from credit cards and student loans totaling about 10K. My dad had promised to pay the note but has stopped with no payments for the last year. Our relationship is now strained and I have limited contact with him. I have ignored the situation but now the car is in repo status, (I don't know where the car is and when I asked my dad for it to surrender the vehicle to the lean holder he told me this would be really bad for my credit and that he has worked out a payment arrangement , this was months ago and he has not made any payments. What should I do? I am a grad student with a home and family and can not afford the now $600+ note with 8K past due. Any advise, can I take him to court, if I return the vehicle does it impact my credit more than a repo? Any advise would be greatly appreciate and believe I know to never ever get a loan in my name for anyone,

Most Helpful Response

A car loan in your name will affect and is already affecting your credit score. The fact that no paymetns are being made is already affecting it. a repo will also affect it. You should check with the court what is the limit on small claim court is -- it may be less than the 8k you are owed. If so then you need a lawyer.  Many offer free consultation. If you are really fianncially strapped you may also check the legal aid office in your city.

Hope you got the agreement in wirting. If not and you do not want to go with a lawyer, then get the car from your dad -- if the car loan is in your name, so should the car be. Talk with the lender and see what you can do.

Lesson Learned

looks like your dad screwed you over big time.

What is owed on the Hummer?  minus  what can you get for it if you were to sell it in a private sell?  then see about taking out a small personal loan for the balance to pay the loan off.   Don't ask your dad to pay it off you pay it off.

Go over to your dad's and take possion as soon as you can.

tell your dad, money talks , BullSh1t walks