Question

lunasday

creditor selling debt already removed from my credit
AT&T keeps selling my debt after the first collection agency was removed from my accout. My aunt put a bill in my name. I recently found out when I was sent a letter from a collection Agency. I asked them to verify the debt and they dod. I then sent a letter asking if I could make payments and because I did not put it in my name after the laspayment could they remove this from my credit report. I never heard back from them, but recently found they are on my credit report as a derogatory account. I disputed it and it was removed. Today I got a letter from a different collections agency trying to collect on the same debt from AT&T. What do I do? Is this legal?

Debts can be sold or transferred among different companies, there is nothing illegal about this. If your aunt opened an account in your name without permission that is ILLEGAL. If that is the case you can file a fraud report with the credit bureaus if the account pops up again, but unfortunately your aunt will most likely be arrested on felony charges (which she probably deserves if she did this without your permission). If you decide to not file fraud charges then you may want to make an agreement with the collection company for a payment in full to them in exchange for them not placing the account on your credit reports. As said, you will want to be ready to pay the full amount if they agree to the offer, if you don't have it I would tell aunty to cough up some money to take care of this account.