Question

BARTHUR88

creditor refuses to accept my "pay for delete" letter for full payment says it goes against policy.
I have 2 collection accounts with Mead and assoc. (medical bills) they refuse to accept my in full payment in exchange for deleting it off my credit report. The manager stated it was bad for business and they believe if I didn't pay the bill I need to do the time (7 years) paid or not. Is there anything I can do in this matter?

Most Helpful Response

The "pay for delete" is purely voluntary on the part of the collection agent, there is nothing and no one that can force them to complete this.  You can always not pay it, see if they sell it to another creditor who may accept that offer.  However, the initial debt will still be on the credit report.   When you request "pay for delete" this is with the current creditor and would not have an impact on the original firm where the credit was achieved.

faidros

When you are attempting to negotiate with a creditor, you should never go to the table with the understanding that you are able to pay the entire amount.  If you offer up front to pay the full amount, they understand you have the resources and stand a better chance of collecting 100%.   The purpose of the negotiation is for them to collect as much as possible and you pay as little as possible.  Once you have an agreement, at that time would be to ask how much more you would have to pay for them to delete the debt as if it never occured.   If they decline this will happen, you have your original agreed upon amount (in writing of course) and you are set to clear the debt.  Ensure in your agreement that they will indicated they will report the debt paid in full.   A paid bad debt is better than an open bad debt.  If you start with that before you mention the delete, they may see their way to make the request for more money to complete the delete, in which case you win and possibly for a lesser amount.   For the record, I do not advocate not paying a debt one should aways pay their debts as originally agreed.

Sorry, but they have the option to accept the 'pay for delete' plan or not.  They are not obligated to do so.