Question

CWDaPhotog

Creditor is out of business. Can I dispute the judgement?
Someone please help me with this! I have a judgement on my credit report from May 2008. I'm trying to buy a house, so I've been attempting to contact the creditor to settle the debt. Through my research I have discovered that the company is out of business and the owner has passed away. I know the judgement will be off my report in a few months, but can I possibly get it removed ahead of time?

Most Helpful Response

Write a "Validation Letter"

Google it for more info and a template.  

Mail this to the Credit Bureau.  It will require them to investigate and "Validate the Debt". If it can't be validated it will be removed.  If, as you say, the company is out of business, then there would be no one to validate the claim and it should go away.