Question

DWalker59

CreditKarma's scores are inaccurate compared to real FICO
I presume that CreditKarma creates an estimate of a "credit score" using the credit info pulled from Equifax and Transunion. I believe that CK says it's using the same methodology that the FICO score uses.

First National Bank of Omaha regularly shows my FICO 8 score being 50 points higher than what CreditKarma reports. The underlying DATA on all three of my reports is the same; I check them regularly.

Right now, FNB Omaha says "Your FICO® Bankcard Score 8, pulled on 11/11/2015 from Experian, is: 764".

CreditKarma says my Experian score is 718 and my Transunion score is 717. These two are very close to each other but they are very far from what I predict is my "true" FICO score of 764. My score from FNB Omaha has been consistent over the last 3 months, and my score from CreditKarma has been consistently lower than that. I did pay down some accounts lately, but before I did that, the scores from CK were still far lower than the FICO 8 score from FNB Omaha.

Based on this, I don't think I should trust CreditKarma's estimate!

Most Helpful Response

FICO has their way of doing credit scores.  The credit bureaus calculate using whatever method they choose.  The credit scores here for both Equifax and Transunion are calculated using the Vantage 3 method. The scores here are to be used as examples when you use the financial tools , since the purpose of this site is to teach how credit works and how to improve one's score.  And, each potential creditor may have their own way of determining a credit score.  There is no one particular correct way of doing the score.  The education I have received on this site has sure helped me much more than I could have imagined when I first joined.