Question

theegooch

CreditKarma can access my credit info fine now, will that stop if I freeze my credit?
My health insurance provider, Anthem, had a security breach a few days where social security numbers were compromised. Because of this, I 'm thinking about freezing my credit. The only reason I'm hesitant to do that is because I'm buying a house in 12 months, and I want to monitor my credit closely between now and then. CreditKarma is the the best tool I have for that, so I would like for it to keep working for the next 12 months. After that, I'll probably freeze my credit.

Most Helpful Response

Hi theegooch,

If you already have an active account with Credit Karma, we will still be able to access your information if you "freeze" it. Consumers who already have a freeze on their accounts cannot join, as the freeze blocks access for new accounts. 

If you put a Security Freeze in place with TransUnion you would no longer get any updates here at CreditKarma.  Same goes with Equifax the Updates here would stop.

You can put a Fraud Alert in place at either one and you would still get updates here at CreditKarma.

There are Links in my profile for Security Freeze and Fraud Alerts.

If you put a Fraud Alert with one Credit Bureau like TransUnion they will notify the other 2,   it would be good for 90 days.  you can repeat the process every 90 days.

Good Luck as we are all in the Same Boat.

Just FYI, this is not accurate. Existing Credit Karma members who place a freeze on their credit can still receive CK updates. 
Hope that helps.