Question

msimonel

Credit went down 37 points for NO reason!!!!!!
I check my credit regularly, and since I was 18 I have done everything you are "supposed" to do. I have a variety of different credit lines, (2 credit cars, 1 auto loan, 4 student loans), I have never missed a payment on any of my bills, and I do not go above 20% credit utilization (currently at 8%). Recently I got a bonus and paid off one of my high interest private student loans early. I checked my credit score and found that it had gone down 37 points, I called transunion and they confirmed that there were no negative items on my credit history, and the only thing hurting my score is the age of my accounts being only 5 years which shouldnt cause my credit score to go down only to go up with time? Anyways Transunion refused to tell me why my score went down 37 points!!! that is a lot and was enough to put me into a lower credit category. Transunion told me to call a credit counselor, so they could tell me why they lowered my score??? So I did and the credit counselor said the same thing that there were no negative items, The only thing we could come up with was that I paid off one of my loans so my available credit was lower? this made me so angry as I did the responsible thing with my work bonus???? So I applied for another credit card with an available balance large enough to replace the credit lost when I got the loan..... there goes another 5 points due to a "hard check" it has been 3 months now and my credit has only gone up by 6 points. How is this possible???????

I have much the same frustration, just on a lower scale.  When your score goes down, and there are no factors to identify why - for instance, in my case, my score just went down 26 points.  No change in credit history time, no new queries, my utilization is 1%, no derogatory marks, no lates, etc.  

This is an extremely frustrating problem that needs some answers, and I'm surprised really that there isn't any uprising over it.