Question

pleasehelpmycred

credit utilization
Hello. I just have a hopefully simple question. i have an average credit score. 6 something. lets say i open a secured credit card with a limit of $200. If i were to pay my credit card bill off immediately without waiting for the bill to arrive, would my credit building be better affected by using 10% (or in this case $20) or by using 100%($200) keeping into account that i will be paying the bill immediately after each purchase. Thank you for any help i very much appreciate it

And I forgot to mention this will be a reoccuring purchase each month of whatever the alloted ammount is solely for the purposes of building my credit back up.

If you pay it off before the credit card company reports it, then it does not matter. The lower the utilization is the better so keeping them 0% is the best. It does nothing to help your score by leaving a balance on there. Open lines of credit with 0% used helps the most.

Remember that opening a new line of credit will hurt your score for a few months as you have the hard inquiry, and average age of credit drops.  but it helps in the long run to get that score up.  

If you are mid to upper 600's I might try an unsecured credit card.