Question

imawordman

Credit Usage Percentage
Needed a new A/C Unit and took out a "Home Repair Visa" card with a 0% interest rate. My normal credit usage is under 10 percent, but with this card it will put my overall credit usage to 27 percent (96% on this one card). Any ideas on how bad of a hit this will put on my credit report? My normal scores for all three credit reporting agencies is the mid-700's. Thank you, in advance.

Honestly? It's fairly bogus.

Hi,

I've been observing this on my CC usage percentages vs what CK calculates as my score for Trans Union, and I've concluded  that either CK is over valuing this portion in their model, or it's just plain bogus. I know my TU score, the real one, and if I pass that 30% on my CC balances, it isn't affected at all. By the same token, I passed it on CK's model and my score dropped 88 points in the span of two weeks.

CK is a great tool, and I love all the free info, but take that 'score' with a grain of salt. Well, a dump truck full of salt. It's close (within 30 points) when your credit usage and all your info remains static over long periods of time. It's utterly useless when it comes to constant tracking by people who actually use their credit availability.