Question

VRuss

Credit union credit card vs major bank credit card
I'm looking to raise my husbands credit score by making him an authorized user I'm the credit card I will be using. Is it best to use a credit card through my credit union or a major bank?

Most Helpful Response

Either will work

@VRuss.  My wife and I have done this for each other with the accounts that we brought into our marriage.  Just based on our experience, it really didn't matter who the credit card issuer was, all the accounts helped us both when we added each other as authorized users.  That being said, there are some things that you need to take into account when adding an authorized user:
1. Make sure the account you are using shows an excellent payment history.  If it does not, there may not be any benefit to your spouse (and could hurt his score) if the card’s history has late payments.

2. Make sure the account has low utilization, same reason as above.  The higher the limit of the credit card and the lower the utilization will give the max benefit.

3. Make sure the issuer of the card will report the authorized user to their credit bureau's (all 3 preferably).  Generally, if they ask you for your spouse's SS#, then they will report, but some companies will still report without that info.  And still other companies will not report at all; we had 3 issuers not report us as authorized users.  So, it's best just to ask when you call in.

It's also important to remember that while your husband's score may go up, some creditors do not give as much weight to the score if the majority of the accounts are just as an authorized user and not as an individual account.  But, the benefit’s still outweigh the drawbacks, so go ahead and add him on to all the accounts that will benefit him.