Question

scottyspot

Credit score went down with removal of PR?
I just had a public record removed from my credit report and my credit score went down. I wouldn't have thought that would happen. I have one collection remaining on it and just did a pay for delete on it. They said that because of how they report on the 15th of the mopnth (GLA Collections) it will likely be April before that one is off, and that will be the last negative thing on my report. Can I expect it to go down again? Why would it have went down by removing bad things?

Most Helpful Response

First, please realize that the scores you see at this website mean nothing.  They are just here for your amusement.  There is no reason your score would have dropped once the PR was removed, you are doing the right things.  Just give it a little while and see if this CK score rebounds.  They get their data from TransUnion, so if you want to see your full TransUnion report, go to www.annualcreditreport.com and review it carefully to make sure there is nothing else you're not aware of.  Once you pay off the collection account, your score should improve a bit.  It will still show up on your report (unless you negotiated otherwise), but it will show as a paid collection, which is less damaging.  To learn more about the true credit score (FICO) and how that is calculated, visit www.myfico.com.  Keep up the good work!

I did get my TU report, and the PR is gone. That's where I saw the one collection, contacted them, and got it in writing where I negotiated a pay for deletion, then paid it off today. The (GLA Collections) said the collection should be off of my credit report next month at some point. So that should mean I have nothing on my credit report other than running a higher than I want to balance on my credit cards @ 50% or so (still owe 7k on credit cards), but I'm taking them down lower too by not using them and taking that utilization down by at least 10% per month. That's why I was confused as to why it showed me dropping from the 680s to 610 today. I have no late payments and 3 inquiries. I have a mortgage, student loan, car payment, and some credit cards, so I was shocked.

Addison170

Yeah, this website's scoring is a bit goofy, so I wouldn't sweat it.  You're doing all the right things, and kudos on negotiating the pay per delete with GLA, that's not always easy!  Once you get your balances down, your score will most likely slowly climb back up.  Just keep up the good work!  You have a good mix of credit, by the way, so good for you on that as well.