Question

LR27

Credit score went down 12 points
My score was 768, and very high on paying all bills on time, etc, but since I am debt free and had no revolving credit, a friend recommended I get a credit card to increase it even more. I did that over the past month, and now it decreased by 12 points. I haven't even gotten the first bill yet. I'm disappointed, and wonder now if I should have just left things alone.

Most Helpful Response

That's a good score, so don't sweat it.  Credit scores may fluctuate a bit over time or they may remain the same for months on end. 

That you are totally debt free may seem the best thing but that can hurt your credit score a bit.  I learned about that by reading the articles here.  Credit is a game that has to be played "just so" to get a good credit score.  I learned that keeping a bill charged to a credit card every month (my NetFlix account works there) and paying that account every month does not incur interest charges but does work on the credit card usage calculation thus helping one's credit score. 

The purpose of Credit Karma is teaching people how the credit game is played so they can be knowledgeable players who benefit fully in the credit game.