Question

Ranger431

Credit Score - Pay down car loan balance or keep as-is?
I understand paying off an entire car loan will lower my score due to closing the account. What if I pay-down the principal like a credit card, say less than 30% of the original opening balance?

I will be purchasing a home soon, I have enough funds for mortgage down-payment plus all fees, and to pay-off my car loan (currently at 75% of the original opening balance). Whatever I can do to increase my credit score to secure a favorable mortgage interest rate, will help tremendously.

To ensure you do not harm your score, it would be best to lower the balance as opposed to paying it off and closing the account.  Paying it off will take a direct hit to your credit score as it is no longer a line of credit.    You did not indicate the condition of any credit card debts.   As you consider your pay downs, always consider the highest interest you are paying.   Paying off/down high interest credit cards may serve you better.   As you work for the mortgage, they will want to see as small of a debt as possible overall.

Ranger431

I have 2 credit cards which I use as revolving purchases for gas/groceries due to the cash-back, I currently don't owe anything on my cards. I don't have any other outstanding debt, no student loans, just my car loan. Will paying a chunk of the principal like a credit card, really improve my credit score?