Question

HannahPants

Credit score keeps going down. Why?
I have 4 open accounts. 2 credit cards (using LESS than 30% of max limit), one car loan, and an overdraft protection account. Only one missed payment ever -- I was deployed and the internet wouldn't connect long enough to schedule a payment. I make payments regularly and on time. My score was 720, then dipped down to 690 and now it's at 646. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The only negative things in my report are my credit history age (less than 2 years) and the low amount of accounts I have open. How do I get it higher?

With very short credit history, low # of accounts, and low limit, any % you use of your max limit will lower your score.  Just pay it off entirely each statement?

To get it higher, you'd either a) call one of the existing cards and ask them to raise your limit, or b) open a new account at a decent bank to hopefully get a limit of 5k+.  I know option B results in a hard inquiry, unsure about option A, it might differ depending on circumstances, I guess you could ask them.

Anyway, any hard inquiry would (probably) lower your credit score short-term, but it should start to improve after 6 months or so.  If you're using something like $500 on $2000 max limit and get a new $5000 line of credit, then it'd go up immediately, despite the hard inquiry.

I believe that the issue

is most lilkely the late payment combined with your short history. It has a bigger impact.

Sounds like your doing the right things.  Keep making those payments on time and utilization low and your score should bounce back soon enough. I wouldn't try opening new accounts until you get your score back up over 650. That will just take time. 

The reality is that score fluctuate all the time.  I saw mine go from 730 in July to 600 in August and is back up to 700 today.  I had a lot of debt in August paying for a wedding. As the debt is paid down, my score goes back up.   Just the way it is.