Question

Posted in Site Suggestions

dado23

Credit score is not all that it is cracked up to be!
My score has been above 750 throughout this summer, and I applied for the Chase credit card that you have recommended to me. I was declined twice! My credit history of past "charged off" accounts is still haunting me.... It feels like the credit score is just a gimmick! You guys recommended cards that I cannot get!

The recommendation of a credit card here on credit karma is based on your credit score.  750 is a good number.  Most any credit card would be interested in a user with that credit score.   What you had to consider before you applied was what else was in your credit report.   Chase will overlook one paid collection, however, you mentioned several.   You also didn't indicate if you already had cards and what the utilization was.   Chase likes low utilization.  There are reviews on this site on various credit cards and there are other sites which maintain a databaseof which credit bureau they pull from and what the approvals were.   Credit Karma does not know or have access to the other requirements of a credit card company, thus, their recommendation is only that, a recommendation.  Work on getting those negative items off your credit and you will find Chase to be a very good choice as a credit card once you have your credit report looking good.

faidros

Credit Karma is a lot like a friend setting you up on a blind date.   They think you look good.  They didn't know the skeletons in your closet that would scare off the prospective date.

Did you read the articles offered on this site?  There is a lot of information about the site, and how it is financed in addition to how credit works.  The offers are from the sponsors (internet sites cost money and we get to use this for free thanks to the sponsors).  But you haven't read the articles or you would already know that.