Question

coby1

Credit score good debt to income bad how to get off house after the divorce? that's what's hurting
Ok I have more room to write here. My credit score is good but my name is still on the house after the divorce. I gave the ex the house. This is making my dbt to income ratio out of whack. How can I get my name off? I am not sure if she can refinance.

Most Helpful Response

Check with a divorce lawyer

I think you'll need a lawyer to answer this authoritatively, but my understanding is that creditors may not have to release you from the mortgage even after a divorce if you are a cosigner on the loan. Although the divorce settlement may have given her the house, this doesn't change the terms of the mortgage, which you signed years ago while married. Both your names are on the loan - the divorce doesn't change that. So what you can try to do is to contact the lender and ask them how you remove a cosigner from the loan. They may then require an underwriting process to see if your ex can qualify on her own. Obviously you'll need her buy-in to do this.

coby1

Thanks Dave, guess I should of just sold it a split it to begin with. It doesn't always pay to be the nice guy.