Question

renrobinson

Credit Score goes down 24 points in a night? Removed Accounts?
I have been in the process of rebuilding my credit after being dumb when I was 18-19. I paid off all of the credit cards I opened/went into collections years ago. My credit has been doing great, 100% of payments on time, etc. This morning, however, I got on CK only to see that my Equifax score has gone down 24 POINTS! The reason being, one of my closed accounts from years ago was removed from my account? Did this really just bring down my credit that much? It’s now a 630 while my Transunion is still 684. I guess the only thing I can do is focus on lowering my utilization and continue to do what I’m doing? I wanted to apply for a card only to bring my Credit Limit up, thus lowering my credit utilization but I don’t see how this is possibly now with such a poor score. Any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If the account was a positive factor to the average age of your accounts then yes it vanishing from your reports could have a bad outcome. I suggest that you watch your FICO scores too.