Question

vijayanoop

Credit score dropped due to At&T fault
My credit score dropped 70 points because AT&T wrongly billed me twice on an activation fee. When I took my AT&T number in 2010, I was assigned a number,X, and then was transferred to the number,Y, I am currently holding. AT&T wrongly billed me activation fee twice on both X and Y. I was not even aware this happened because I was just given one number,Y, (the one I am holding today).

The activation fee on the number X was sent to a collection agency.
I received a letter from the collection agency, and they also put a derogatory remark on my credit report due to which my score dropped 70 points.

Apparently AT&T tried to contact me on the address updated on the number X, which i never had. When I moved I updated the address on my active account Y only, coz i was not aware of their screw up.

I contacted AT&T and after much deliberation they revealed this is what happened and it is their mistake, that they should never have billed activation fee on X.

They have agreed to take this case directly with the collection agency and take off the bad remark from my credit report. But I am not sure how this will impact my credit score. Will it go up to what it was before? Because this is no fault of mine.

What is my path forward?

It should go up. You need to get back on the phone with AT&T and confirm that they're actively pursuing this with timelines. Get the agreement in writing.

vijayanoop

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I followed up with AT&T and they got the derogatory remark removed from my credit report. My credit score has gone up 40 points but it is still 35 points below what it was when they erroneously put my account in collection. Is there some way I can get this corrected? Who should I talk to? The credit bureau? Please help.