Question

markbgill

Credit score dropped 41 points with one collection!
I have been working diligently to better my credit score after filing for bankruptcy in 2012. Both of my scores were in the 640's putting me in the "fair category. Last week my Equifax went up 13 points. Just 2 days ago it dropped 41 points after a $150 medical collection was posted. Why so much? After all that hard work, how can one small collection hit so hard???

No wonder so many people struggle with keeping a good credit score.

Hi markbgill! I completely understand your frustrations here. Sadly, the size of your debt (in your case, a small amount) is not as important as the status of the debt. In other words, even a relatively small bill that winds up in collections status on your credit report can harm your credit score. Hope this helps.