Question

Newlywed805

Credit Score Drop from Marital Name Change?
I've updated my newly changed last name to my husband's with my credit cards and my transunion credit score drops 18 points. Aside from the name change, the other things that changed were a credit limit increase and a credit utilization decrease. Why would my score drop?

It shouldn't be your name change. Its likely an anomaly in the scoring formula. Sometimes the increase in credit lines can have a negative effect short term. It's annoying as you'd think, lower balance + higher limit = lower utilization = credit score bump, so it should be a positive effect. Sometimes that's not the case. It will likely level out shortly.