Question

cece890

credit score dipped
I paid off for debts that I noticed on my credit score once I pay them my credit score dropped by 100 points I am worried...is this normal? Will it go back higher once the payments are registered? I am looking for a new place and don't want them seeing that..I have no idea what to do I thought paying them off would help my score not hinder it help please ?!

Most Helpful Response

Depends...

There's obviously more to the story here.  What debts?  Are we talking about a credit card?  If so, when you paid it off, did you close the account?  This is a trap many people fall into.  Paying it off is good.  Closing it, is risky because it affects your utilization rate by taking away a limit from the ratio.  It also affects  your age of credit history rating. 

Something has changed if it dropped.  Look at the tab for "credit factors" and scroll down through those 7 or 8 factors that could be affecting your score (Utilization, payment history, Age of credit, etc)...something changed.  May be a mistake.  I have an issue with transunion being disputed right now because they are double reporting on one of my cards and its affecting the utilization rate for me.  So take a look and see if something looks out of place.

Also, just because you paid something off, doesn't mean its been reflected on your score yet.  The company may not have reported it yet.  its not instantaneous.  Some companies only report once per month.  So be patient on that.