Question

redsense

Credit score being lowered due to closing an account
Why does "closing" an account reduce your credit score? My score dropped from 765 to 746 because I closed two accounts. How long will this effect my score?

Most Helpful Response

It affects your credit score in two ways. First it changes the total amount of available credit to you. Changing the available credit then changes your credit utilization making it increase. A higher credit utilization results in a lower credit score.

Then, closing an account changes your average length of your accounts. If you close a short term account it may actually make your average go up, but closing a long term account it will make it go down, lowering your score. However, this only has a low impact on your score. The credit utilization described above has a much higher impact on your score.

closing account dose effect on your score. 

It dose stay  not much long . As long as you have another active credit account 

I had student credit card with 500 limit and closed it off that one. and no one were giving me credit card even student card so i had to open secure card and recoverying my credit lol 

It only drops few point though so you should be fine. 

Chris1631

My score was lowered even though the credit card company said it wouldn't be. They closed the account due to fraud on the account and issued a new card. Should I contact the credit card company or the credit bureaus? I am still in the excellent range, but feel my score should not have been lowered.