Question

danmin16

Credit Rookies: how to improve really low cs for someone who has no credit
my boyfriend and I are trying to start our life together but he doesnt have any credit, has never had a credit card and doesnt qualify for a secure card. He made a creditkarma acct recently and saw that an old cellphone bill was in collections so we paid if off immediately thinking it would help boost his score, after reading this advice board I think we just screwed ourselves even more. Is there anything we can do to improve his credit score now? How can he boost his score if he doesn't qualify for anything?

Please read the articles on this site so you can better learn how credit works and how to build a good credit score.  This is vital knowledge not taught in our schools but essential in many aspects of our lives. Providing that knowledge plus interactive tools on this site is what Credit Karma is all about.  I'm a senior citizen now, plus trained in accounting but I learned a whole lot by reading the articles provided on this site.

Yeah, paying off some years old debt usually isn't a great idea.  I have a handful of credit cards in default, but it's been over five years now, so they've already past the statute of limitations on a lawsuit in Texas.  If I paid them all off, I'd just have to wait an additional 5+ years for them to drop off.  If they're more than 180 days delinquent, they've probably already gone to a collections agency.

*Anyone* can get a prepaid credit card.  Just look for those.  The recommendation Credit Karma gave me was horrible (Capital One Secured Mastercard).  If he was in the military (or has a direct relative that was), he can get the nRewards secured card from navyfederal.org.  

If you get tired of trying to get a semi-decent one.... like I said, there are some out there where you pay them $300 and $80 or whatever annually, for the privilge of being able to, well, use a credit card.