Question

Simplyconfused

Credit report shows more student loans that I actually have
My credit report shows that I have 41 student loans which I know for a fact is not the case, some of the money should have been returned by a school that I officially withdrew from but was never returned by that school because they said it had already been allocated to my classes. How can I get Sallie Mae to investigate this and have it returned to them, and also how can I prove that the 41 student loans aren't all mine?

Most Helpful Response

Wow, you've got a mess on your hands!  First thing I would try is sending letters to the 3 credit bureaus to dispute the extra accounts; tell them they are not yours.  They'll respond with letters stating they've either deleted the account(s) or provided "verification".  I would also send letters (certified perhaps) to Sallie Mae explaining the situation as clearly as possible and ask them to provide you with proof that all these loans are yours. You can also contact the Dept. of Education, they have a website at www.studentaid.ed.gov/resources and click on Repay Your Loans.  There is a link there about disputes.  Finally, do you need to consolidate your existing loans?  If so, call Crest at 469-619-0644, and they can provide free consultation.  Best of luck with this!

Simplyconfused

Addison170 thank you for your response I actually spent all day yesterday filing disputes on two of the 3 credit reports, waiting for the third to print so I can do it. Not sure if all that was needed but if they come off one I want to make sure they come off all. Sallie Mae is the most difficult business to try to talk to I have been trying to get this resolved since 2008 when I officially withdrew from class but they tell me to contact the school and the school tells me that they can't return money. I know that I should be repaying some portion of the loans but with this mess I don't want to repay something that I am trying to fight and then have them come back and say that since I have been making payments that they can't do anything about it now. I have been paying back my private loan with Sallie Mae it is just the other. And some how Sallie Mae/Dept of Education now own all of my loans which I was NEVER made aware of so I have no clue what is what. I hope that with me disputing the loans that somehow I will get this resolved because I know that 10k is what should be on my report but it is now over 40k because of interest. If nothing is resolved I will just have to try to contact the department of education and work something out. They had garnished my wages without notifying me in advance, well I got the notification the same day that they started garnishing my wages but since have changed jobs.

Again thank you for your input I will keep it handy because I am sure I will end up needing it