Question

Mimnew

Credit Report clean up
My credit report shows two present accounts that note 2 late payments in 2006. Can I call them and ask that those be removed or do they have to stay till the 10 year time frame? Also I have a collection account that was paid off that is noted on my account and a mortgage account that was brought by another company that still notes late payments. Is there anything I can do to remove these from my report?

Part of your credit history.

First, the time frame on credit account reporting is 7 years, then they drop off.  The ten year time is only for Chapter 7 bankruptcies.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (a federal regulation) requires that ALL credit transactions be reported.  Late payments, collection accounts and judgements are a few of the things that CANNOT be removed because they are part of your credit history.

Best thing for now and the future is make sure the payments get in on time.  Sorry.