Question

Strawberryfields54

Credit question for the confused
I had a debt consolidation loan to pay off all credit cards, but I have been using one credit card and now it's getting to about 1600.00 should I try to pay it down or try getting a lower interest credit card, because for some reason I can't get an extra loan right now, because it is still showing a bankruptcy 8 years ago

Most Helpful Response

I think you should do both--pay down the card AND try to get another one. If you've got a bankruptcy it's smart to add some accounts and keep them in good standing. You didn't mention what the utilization of the card you already have is... in any case, if you have another one it will lower your overall utilization.

One caveat: if you are currently using your credit card to make ends meet and that's why you haven't been able to pay it down, another credit card isn't going to solve your problems. If you are spending more than you make, you can have ten low-interest cards and your problem will only get worse.