Question

KJS789

Credit One Misapplied My Payment
I recently had an incident with Credit One. I have two active credit cards with them. I receive separate statements by mail for both cards. Once I've received a statement, I use BillPay through my bank online to make payments.

I made a minimum payment on the last statement, however, it appears that they applied the payment to the wrong account, and now I have a late payment on my other account (the account that the payment should have been applied to in the first place).

Their customer service department is very reluctant even to discuss the matter, and they seem completely unwilling to investigate the details.

I have been working very hard to improve my credit score, and my payment history is currently at 100%. I'm extremely concerned that this mixup is going to have a severely negative impact on my score, and be a permanent derogatory mark on my history.

Could you please offer some advice on what I should do next?

Did you pay the correct account right away? If not, do that ASAP. If you are not a full 30 days late it will not hit your credit reports. Even though it will probably hurt your credit a little, I would close one of the accounts you have with them. There are much better ways to build credit than to deal with lenders such as Credit One. Secured credit cards from more reputable lenders will build credit just fine and at a much cheaper cost.