Question

UNDEADtofu1337

Credit needed for $1700+ line on a Best Buy credit card for an incoming grad student?
I'm starting grad school in May and will be getting loans, no question about it. The only problem is I don't get my loan money until after classes start, and I need a new laptop. I've decided on a Surface Book, as it is the only model that does everything I'm looking for. But I really want to have it before classes start so I can get it all set up and get used to it. With student discount, the model I want comes to $1811 with tax included. As of March 16th, my 3 credit reports average to 653, current income is around $16,800 per year (obviously will change when loans come).

Anyone know what kind of credit would be needed for this kind of credit line with them? What kind of hit would I take if I just went and applied and got denied?

Thanks for any help.

What is your TU score?  Are these CK scores or Fico?  650 Fico would get you about $500 and maybe a $1000 if you call them after approval.  Which I would do even if the give you a $1000.  It is Citi that backs them up so I hope you dont have any late payments the couple of years.