Question

mesandy505

credit line in relation to amount of balance transfer
I'm thinking of transferring my $3000 balance to another zero percent credit card, so that I can pay it off with no finance charges. I've been approved for one of these cards with a $3600 credit line. Will it hurt my credit score to transfer the $3000 & leave only $600 available?

Most Helpful Response

Maybe, maybe not

The first card that you are transferring from will have a lower balance, so your total balance to limit ratio will go down. This will help you as long as you don't run up the balance on the old card again after you transfer it.

However, because you opening a new line of credit, which usually knocks your score a few points, you might not see the increase right away.