Question

Kevinkc13

credit limit reduction
If I pay off $5000 of my $13K balance and ask to lower my credit limit from 16K to 11K, will that negatively affect my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

Paying the balance down should have a good, healthy impact on your score (especially since your current $13k balance is so uncomfortably close to your credit limit).

But asking to have your credit line reduced will hurt you! Don't do that unless you chronic problems handling credit and need a reduced credit line to avoid temptation.

What you want for the best scoring purposes is lots of available credit with low utilization.