Question

DayBig

Credit Karma thinks I have a mortgage. I don't. What is going on?
While trying to sign up for Credit Karma they asked me about some mortgage they think I opened in 2015. Not true. When I said none of the above to the lenders they listed it denied me access to my reports. Does this mean someone stole my identity to buy a house? If so, does it belong to me if I evict them? And how do I find out what the problem is? Credit Karma wants me to send copies of my drivers license and passport by snail mail to prove I am me. Is there any faster way to figure out what is happening?

Most Helpful Response

get a copy of your actual credit report

go to AnnualCreditReport .com  There you can get 1 free copy of each of your reports once a year.  Get one copy of your report.  Save the other 2 for later in the year so you can check for changes later.  look over your report and see whats actually on it.  The verification questions often have erronious info in them to see if you actually are who you say you are.  

Even if there were a mortgage on your report and someone stole your identity to get it, you wouldn't have a right to it.  It would have been obtained illeagally and would become evidence in the case you would be building against the bad guys.

hope that helps

Agreed.

Sometimes loans get reported in 'odd' ways.  I have a personal loan (the kind that isn't related to anything specific, just to pay for things like house repairs or vacations). It is reported as an auto loan.  All 3 credit bureaus insist its an auto loan, and when I try to obtain my credit report, I have to answer a question that says "you took out an auto loan on, or around DATE HERE"... But I know its just my personal loan.

Do you have another loan that could possibly be confused with a mortgage? The amount is high? Etc.

Don't have a mortgage!!!

Can someone call me ASAP to discuss this PLEASE?????

Thanks,

Jamel R.Williams