Question

featherwarrior

Credit Karma Score vs Credit Score
It seems I have the opposite problem that most people are having. My score was SIGNIFICANTLY less on my credit report that my lender pulled. Credit Karma had me at 760 for TransUnion where as the lender had me at 685. Credit Karma at me at 785 for Experian and 672 through my lender. I have ZERO idea what to do or think here? It seems like no matter what model you use there is to much of a delta here for there not to be an error? Does anyone have any suggestions? So frustrating!

Hi

Understand that Credit Karma scores are not used by any lender, they should only be used as a "rough idea". Also keep in mind that credit karma uses Vantage scores as do the bureaus in regards to what you are given. The problem is that most lenders appear to use FICO scores instead and FICO scores are lower than Vantage. Further problems arise as different lenders use different FICO score version so it's all just a crap shoot really.

Your lender most likely pulled FICO scores and that would explain that. You can join MyFico.com but it is expensive and check your FICO scores. The only problem with MyFico.com is that you cannot refresh the results daily and it only updates on its own under certain conditions. I will say that Credit Karma is very good at updating your information on your report and it is pretty accurate, for a free tool you can't beat it, just don't rely on the scores. One final thing is that I cannot say how accurate MyFico.com scores are either, but I do like to see them as they are in the FICO category rather than the Vantage category and so far the evidence that I see is that FICO is a more accurate finding.