Question

AkaniNakai

Credit Karma is being used for Identity Thieves,we found it today trying to register my wife account
Hi,

My wife is a victim of Identity Theft, for the past 5 years. We add an alert, since we live in Puerto Rico is hard to get a Police Report and we are not able to add an alert for 7 years because of that. So today a co-worked told me about Credit Karma, and we tried to register her account to receive alerts and credit report over the year, and we are not able to register, because it was already registered, under another e-mail account. Which I believe is been used by the thieves to see what account are actives and try to do transactions, and check the scores to apply for rental (like the one it happened two weeks ago. in another State ), also to apply for new credit cards not in the Credit History, all possibilities with all the information Karma Provide since is free, and is not require a monthly fee so they can check every month.

There is a way to add more secure question into the registration to avoid this? More complex questions, because I registered my account and the questions were obvious. Also we already submit the Do You Already Have an Account? e-mail to solve this and block the other account. I hope this can be solved soon and she can access her account without any problem and receive alerts.

Most Helpful Response

You need to send your question to support@creditkarma.com

Have you thought about freezing your credit instead of just credit alert?  Just Google "freeze credit" and you'll see what I'm talking about.  I did that 5 years ago and am worry free about ID theft.

Addison170 Thanks for your fast respond;

We already submitted the concern to this site, I added the note in my first question here "Also we already submit the “Do You Already Have an Account?” from the Credit Karma Site we sent an e-mail to solve this and block the other account."

Also the agencies only freeze the credit for 3 months only, for 7 years you need a Police Report, like I already mentioned “We added the alert, since we live in Puerto Rico is hard to get a Police Report and we are not able to add the alert for 7 years because of that."

The police said to us they can't do anything, and we are on a situation we can't do much. The other way is to pay the monthly charges to experian, equifax or transunion to freeze the credit.   We don;' have the money for that.  That’s why we tried to register her account and it was already registered under another user e-mail. 

Credit Karma takes 3 business days to respond, so I will post the results of that, and see what they can do, about it. But I strongly suggest adding more secure into this site:

One simple example when I register my account one of the question was, which of these banks you have an open account: Is so easy because in Puerto Rico there is only 3 banks with Spanish names, and all the others choices, was strange banks names so is so simple to get the right answer. That’s my main concern so how much people don’t know that the Thieves are using this site as part of their bad moves to be used to See what credit cards are not open, so they can request one, for example sears credit card were you can request one and you can use the credit at the time you request the credit card with a temporary number, and you can buy anything you want using that number until the maximum of the person credit.  And believe me this already happened to us.  

I hope someone from the Credit Karma read this blog and respond. Thanks.