Question

Posted in Site Suggestions

Tltim77

Credit Karma called me?
I received a call from 323-729-3699. They stated they were from Credit Karma and were calling about a loan application I had submitted and that I was approved for a loan. They didn't ask for anything personal other than verifying my address and employer, but I ended the call there as I was not sure if this was a scam or not. I can not find anything relating to Credit Karma financial services as far as the name of a company. A phone number search did nothing for me either. Hopefully someone here can help? Is this a scam?

Most Helpful Response

Credit Karma is NOT a lender

Hi faidros - 

Credit Karma is not a lender and we do not issue loans. We will never ask you for any form of payment to use our services as we are completely free. Again, we are not a lender and we do not make loans - we do provide offers from our partners on our site, www.creditkarma.com. 

You can use Credit Karma to review your credit reports from TransUnion and Equifax. Credit Karma updates your reports weekly when you log in, so changes from the previous week can be seen on your reports each week, such as new inquiries, newly opened accounts, etc. 

If you have provided this company with any of your personal information, you may want to visit https://www.identitytheft.gov and follow the steps. This will guide you in reporting potential identity theft to the FTC and local law enforcement.

You may also want to consider putting a security freeze on your credit, which will instruct the credit reporting agency not to release your credit report without your consent for credit applications. Here's how to contact the three major creditbureaus to initiate a security freeze:

Equifax: 800-685-1111 (general) or 800-525-6285 (fraud); P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374; www.equifax.com

Experian: 888-397-3742 (general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013, www.experian.com

TransUnion: 800-888-4213 (general) or 800-680-7289 (fraud); P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022; www.transunion.com

If you have other questions, you're welcome to reach out to our support team by submitting a ticket here:

https://help.creditkarma.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks!

Credit Karma Member Support

It sure sounds like a scam to me.   Did you apply for a loan?   Did they say say applied "through" Credit Karma.  Did you apply for one of the recommended personal loans on this site.   You should be aware of where you applied.   If you had not applied for a loan then you should consider the steps of monitoring your credit report with eagle eyes and also consider freezing your credit reports at each of the three bureaus.  You won't be able to use Credit karma to monitor your credit during the time there is a freeze at the bureaus.  I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't followed up with a request for more infomation.