Question

Mayne1923

Credit Inquiry on credit card
Why is there a credit inquiry for GECRB/Belk when I already have a credit card with them with a zero balance?

Mayne1923

I would be willing to bet you this is a "soft" inquiry.

Do some reading on the net and look up the difference between soft and hard inquiries.

Hard inquiry is when you apply for something and you must authorize the inquiry and it will affect your score.  Usually only affects it a little unless you collect more than a couple.  I think they stay on your record for two years.

Soft inquiry (as I believe this was) is a periodic update/check on you by people that you already have accts with.  I think of it as them keeping an eye on you to see if any good or bad info showed up on you in case they want to raise or lower your limit, etc,,  For instance if all your other accts utilization went thru the roof and/or are getting paid late, they would like to know this ahead of time before you do it to them.  Also a positive side, they see everything looks rosey and offer to increase your limit with them. These soft inquiries do not affect your score. 

Countless spammer type outfits that you never heard of also run a lot of soft inquiries prior to sending an invitation to apply to them for credit. Any of that stuff that shows up in my mail box goes straight into the shredder.