Question

dukiemama

Credit History Age
My credit history is far more than 3 years old. I owned a house in So. Windsor, CT for 20+ years, my car loan is 5 years old and most of my credit cards are older than 3 years. This part of my score is terribly inaccurate!

I agree and am having the same issue. My payment history says I only have 1 year and 10 months. I have two open car loans that are several years old and at least two open credit cards that I have had for at least 5 years. I have no idea how they determine the history information. If anyone has any info on this, I would like to know as well.

StreamDweeler

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they are averaging all of the accounts together and the newer accounts are bringing down the length of history. Dunno.

"AVERAGE age of accounts"

I don't believe that they factor in the ages of closed accounts like FICO scoring does.

Average age of credit history

All of the elements factoring into my credit score are excellent/good with the exception of average age of my credit history.....which is characterized as poor.  I have never missed, a payment (never).....have had no derogatory comments (ever)......yet the average age of my credit history is characterized as POOR.  All through my adult life, and particularly with the rise of identity theft, I have always made it my practice to close accounts I do not use after a period of time.  So, subsequently I close, then open new credit as needed.  Hence, the average age of my credit history is low.  So, I've carefully managed my credit, taken as good care of preventing ID theft as I could.....and have been penalized for it in my credit score.  I think it is a bogus measurable.  Contacted TransUnion to discuss it.....got a foreigner reading from a script who was absolutely no help.....but eagerly wanted to sell me some products.  So, basically, it is what it is.....they make the rules and pull the strings.  Just pay your bills best you can and hope they don't stick more stupid stuff in there to further lower your score.  I for one, think 40 years of no missed payments and no derogatory comments ought to be all they need to assess.