Question

kameishaayala

Credit Cards: Harmful or Helpful?
From using the simulator, opening a new credit card will harm my already poor credit score by 130 points. Although I have read many articles which stated credit cards can be very helpful to scores I am wondering how and how long? Mainly with very low utilization how long will it take me to gain the point I will lose back and some? If it is possible can someone provide, on average, how many points will be gained per month once I start the gaining process?

Most Helpful Response

I joined this site in 2012 and had three high interest credit cards, and a low credit score.  I spent time reading the articles and following the advice given to improve my score.  After playing with the score simulator for a while, it finally said that doing a balance transfer would be a good idea, so I swallowed hard, then contacted my credit union, where I can actually speak to a real person.  I was granted the balance transfer, and the new card had a significantly higher credit limit thaan the total of the three cards and a much lower interest rate.  Consequently, my score rose.  I have added a couple more credit accounts which increases the available credit, anddid another balance transfer to a different card that has a lower limit than the credit union card.  Consequently, the credit score dropped a biyt due to increased usage but the interest saving was worth it.  Credit is a game that, played carefully, can benefit far more than I had realized before.  I was even able to buy a new car last summer, at a low interest rate.  I never learned these skills in college and I have degrees in business and accounting, plus I am on a fixed income and living moresecurely than when I was working.  Credit cards can help when all other factors are right.  Read the articles here. make changes and you WILL see your credit score improve.  Become credit smart.