Question

maggie0312

Credit Card Utilization On A Closed Account
I recently noticed that on my report, it states that I'm utilizing a huge percentage on a card that is no longer open and has been sold to a collection agency. How can a card that is not open and not in use be creating any percentage of utilization? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to know what I can do and how to get this removed if I can!

If the account has been sold to a collection company and you have a collection on your reports as well, then I would dispute the balance on the original account, because technically you no longer owe the credit card company anything as you owe the debt to the collection company. Your dispute should cause the balance on the original account to go to zero. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The three credit bureaus are Transunion, Equifax and Experian and they all have websites where you can learn how to dispute.